Here are some funny stories from the week in Shanghai~
Cooking with Ayi
Morgan has decided that she doesn't like chinese food these days. I have been learning to cook a little bit and since I am in china, why not try to cook chinese food? Well, I decided to have the little helper lady (Ayi) teach me how to make jiaozi (jee-ow-tsa), the chinese dumpling. In order to do this, we had to go to the grocery store. I don't know how familiar everyone is with the chinese culture but it is totally common for anyone, including men, woman, teenagers, anyone, to hold hands or link arms. While at the mall, Ayi tells me that this beauty store place is having a sale. We go in to check it out and she grabs my hand! The whole time that we are in the store, we are holding hands... a little awkward but no one is looking at us weird or anything. It was funny to think that she is about 35, married and has a kid. Back to the baking part of the story... we bought the stuff that we needed but we had to go to the little meat market to get some minced pork. Morgan doesn't prefer the meat from here because it isn't the cleaniest place and they just take this slab of pork and shove it through a grinder. We probably will get some nasty funk from it but o well. Anyways, I learned how to make them and that was the important thing. She did end up burning them... it happened the last time too! Oh well... If anyone wants to make them just let me know! :)
Who is stinky?
I recently got called to be a nursery worker. Well it is a good thing or else I don't think Tally would go to nursery. This week we have been potty training her. She doesn't have the whole pooping thing down yet. Today, I was sitting there and got a whif of poo... I automatically reached for Tally's bum. Guess what I found... we were headed to the bathroom pretty fast :)
New movies
The chinese and their "brilliant" minds are amazing. They have came out with these DVDs on the streets that have like 16 movies on one DVD. Yep, this is what Morgan, Tim, and I spend our night doing now. We spend 10 RMB or about $1.50 for 16 DVDs. Sweet!
Wu er ma (Walmart in Shanghai!)
I went to the Walmart in Shanghai this week. For those of you that didn't know or forgot, I am a Walmart lover. This was only my 2nd time to go since living in Shanghai and it is so different from the states. I bought some "strange" things that I have been getting used to in China. I have been having to eat/drink stuff with prunes in it. Well I found some "prunes" for pretty cheap. I got home and opened the bag to try them. I forget that some stuff gets lost in translation. Um yeah I ended up buying some nasty funk orange peels. They were the grossest stuff in the world! Don't worry the chinese don't waste anything... Ayi took them to her friend. I also found some seaweed! I love it! So does my little friend Adayla... she ate more of it than I did! So that is my update of the Walmart travels. In China, I will just stick to the Carrefour that is the French version of Walmart.
Drawing a map in your panties
Tuesday was the second day of potty training for Ms. Tally and the chinese tutor came. Tim I think was trying to explain to her that Tally was not totally peeing her pants, she was just going a little bit. We learned in chinese they call it (when translated into English) "drawing a map in your underwear" instead of having an accident.
Tallynese
So my favorite word right now that Tally says is "Elno" for Elmo but she says "mo" for no. We are kinda confused about that but anyways. I think that if she answered "elno" for some of her questions we ask her, it would sound like you know what!
Hope everyone has a great week!
Love,
Josie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am glad Bridger is not the only grandkid that picks up on the bad words his mother uses. Sounds like someone at the Kuehne residence needs to watch themselves....Just Kidding!
Odessa
Post a Comment