Thursday, May 22, 2008

First attempt at speaking chinese in public in America

So last night, me and Laura decided to go to Hong Kong. Well, when the waiter came over I said "Ni sho Zhong wen ma?" (I am not sure about the spelling but I can say it I think) Anyway... and so we started talking for about 5 minutes and he was talking about how chinese is hard and I understood the whole conversation. Please note that my confidence was pretty high at this point! :) So when we went to pay, I told the lady "Ni hao" and asked her in English where she was from. She said China, like I couldn't tell or something. She asked me if I spoke chinese, in English and I told her a little bit. I told her that I lived in Shanghai for "ba yue" which means August but I didn't know how to said for 8 months so I just said that. She couldn't understand me! She that I was speaking English and wanted to know how to say eat so she said chi fan and all of this crap! So here I am in the restaurant making this huge seen cuz everyone is wanting to know why I am doing the sign for eight (which is like making a gun with your thumb and pointer). So anyways I don't know if I will try that again! That was just my funny of the week!
Josie

No comments: